Oral Communication

Oral Communication

Reflection on Oral Communication

Oral Communication Reflection

Oral communication is a very important aspect of the average American’s everyday lives. Without oral communication basic conversations between friends wouldn’t be possible, and business partners couldn’t propose an idea to one another and reach a compromise. Oral communication is very beneficial, because it’s more efficient, and also usually gets the point across in a clearer manor. For my ePortfolio I decided to choose my PowerPoint presentation from my research essay to showcase my use of oral communication skills this semester.

I chose this piece, because it was the second presentation I had to give for this class, and I believe that it was a lot better than the first presentation that I gave. For the first presentation, I was ill prepared and didn’t spend a lot of time preparing for my presentation. This strategy was not the wisest, and even though I knew what I wanted to say when giving the presentation, I forgot all the words in the heat of the moment. After my first presentation, I realized that this was not the approach to take on the next presentation, and I found myself doing a lot more to prepare for my research presentation. I made notecards about the slides to help guide me through the topic, as well as practice my speech out loud in my room, which actually helped a lot. With this preparation, my second speech went a lot smoother than my first speech.

I think that my speech went very well, mainly due to the extra practice I put into it, and I don’t think there is much I would want to change about my speech. This presentation showcases myself as an oral communicator, and proves that if I put enough time into my presentations, I can present an affective argument to an audience. Through both the first speech we gave about our website and the speech about our research topic, I have been able to improve my oral communication skills

Research Essay Presentation Kaitlin Burdick 2